My Heavenly Father


It's been 18 years since I lost my father and I miss him so much. All that he wanted was to give me the best. Papa was always away from us (we were in Manila). He was the administrator of my cousin's large sugarcane plantation in the province of Negros Occidental, Philippines. For years my father worked so hard to provide for us, making sure we had food on the table,descent clothes to wear and that I get enrolled in a good school.

My father had a very strong character. He was extremely straightforward, frank and honest. He was always misunderstood by others but that did not bother him at all. He will always stand for what he believes is right and will never allow anybody to step on his principles in life. He was strict, but firm. I admired him so much and looked up to him as a role model when it comes to taking a stand for what is right even if it would mean losing friends. He never wanted to be a "people-pleaser". Although there were things that I hate in him particularly his drinking, I still find him as the best Dad in the world. He loved me so much that no matter how "drunk" he was, he would always ask me to sit in front of him telling me that he loves me. He would look straight to my eyes and tell me not to follow his drinking and smoking habits. He would clearly admit that getting trapped with alcohol and nicotine is the worst thing a man could do in his life. I admired him for that and took his advise up to this very day. He was honest and loving. He will always be there for me and my mother no matter what. I must admit that my parent's marriage was very rough and turbulent. But all the bitterness, hurt and pain of a dying romance would later be changed when my parents came to receive our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ in their lives. Forgiveness--what a powerful act all of us can offer to one another if we are to live a new life of love, peace, hope and joy! Yes, my father's life was changed by God, even my mother's too. And later, my life would also never be the same again when I met Jesus. Today, I may not be where I want to be in my life but I thank the Lord that I am not where I used to be. Amazing grace!

I was devastated when I lost my father. He was the only one left to look after me after my mother passed away. I was their only child. It was only in those empty and lonely moments that I learned more about thanking God for every thing that is happening in my life, good or bad (though God is not the author of suffering). I learned that our Heavenly Father is a Sovereign God. While for years I struggled with the pain of losing a loved one, my father, the feeling of emptiness and loneliness disappeared, replaced with surging feelings of confidence, love and hope. Although I lost my earthly father, I have our Heavenly Father, the author and finisher our faith. Each day I wake up to see the day that He has made for me and my family, I know that He is alive! I know because I know Him. I know that it is Him who comes to rescue me and my family in times of trouble. I know that it is His great love and forgiving kindness that sustains and preserves us in the storms of our lives. The Psalmist said,"By day the Lord directs his love, at night his song is with me--a prayer to the God of my life"(Psalm 42:8).

As the world celebrates Father's Day tomorrow, God allowing, I ask the Lord to bring to my remembrance His goodness and mercy. I pray that He will remind me that He is my Heavenly Father who watches over me us. While my father is but a memory in my heart, my Heavenly Father is alive in my life! I am so blessed that I have a Heavenly Father who promised to never leave me, nor forsake me--who not only loves me, but also those I love! Wow! What a deal!

I thank my Heavenly Father for my family. I thank Him for my loving wife, Hayddie, and our wonderful son, J.O. (Julius Obregon, Jr.). There is nothing more precious to me than what God has given me--my family. I am the happiest father in the world because of what the Lord has done for me. I have a wonderful family. There is no amount of wealth, success and fame that is greater than what I have right now, and that is my wife and my son. And above all, our Heavenly Father.

I remember my beloved mother (the greatest Mom in the world) who taught me the song, "We Three". She would play the guitar and accompany me as we sing the song. She would sing the second voice, and we end the song with great vocal harmony. She would emphasize the last six words of the song, "my shadow, my echo and me." The song is a song of loneliness. I always wondered what the writer felt while writing this song. Today, I still hum that song in my mind, "We three, my Hayddie, my J.O., and me." And day after day, "we three" will always experience the love and grace of our Heavenly Father.

Did you ask Jesus to come in to your life? Fathers, I urge you to ask our Heavenly Father to teach us to be Godly men. Men who will fear and revere Him. Ask Him today to make you the greatest Dad in the world! Seek Him and delight in His Word. Pray for the grace of obedience and righteousness. Seek Him first and His righteousness, and all things will be added to you.


Comments