Setting Boundaries

Are you a victim of controlling people? I've had my share of knowing people with "controlling spirits". Some people are toxic and dangerous. All that I can say is avoid such people and have nothing to do with them ( but please do not hate them). They can steal your joy! I came to know people who at first appear to be sincere and honest. They creep into my life and slowly they tried to dominate me with their controlling attitudes.

The more you become too open to people, even your friends, the more they will pursue you.Controlling you is their primary goal. They start by making you feel their importance in your relationship with them and make sure that it is communicated to you when they are around. They demand from you "immediate attention" when they need you and when with them; they are angered when they don't get the attention they want from you. I call this friendship with strings attached ( you have to please them at all times). They don't respect your privacy and invade it to their heart's content.

I realized that the more I give people information about my life, the more I equip them with amunition to talk about me, much more control me! So, I suggest that you be carefull with giving others a wealth of information about anything about yourself--I call that "setting boundaries". You must learn to tell your friends what your limits are and that you don't want them to go farther. Set your boundaries and you will experience total freedom in your relationships. Never allow anyone to violate your boundaries even if it would mean losing a friend; you will only be deceiving yourself. Never adhere to the idea of "going with the majority" and start learning to say "no" when you have to. Saying no is indeed an art. We can refuse to let others exploit and manipulate us by taking a stand for what we believe is right.

Comments